In iSolved, navigate to Client ManagementàPayrollàEarnings.
- Add New
- Select Earning Type
- If you are unsure of which earning type to use, post it in the team’s channel. Someone else can help you identify the best fit.
- As a rule, the earnings that start with z or zz are unsuccessful tests. So do not use them.
- Cell Phone Reimbursement is a Reimbursement. (Traditionally, reimbursements are not taxable. The employee pays the entire cell phone bill with the taxes included, so the employer reimburses the full amount after taxes.)
- When we select Reimbursement, we can see it’s a non-taxable paid earning. (It is not going to be taxed and is going to be added into the employee’s net pay.)
- Provide a title: For this particular earning, we’ll title it Cell Reimb (There is a 15-character limit)
- Description: This will only be visible to you, the rep, not the client. If you needed to specify what this earning is used for, you can.
- Code: Most earnings will have a code. This one does not automatically populate one, so I will leave it blank.
- Sequence Number: This tells the system the order to run this earning. We want to make sure that the system follows all required steps to pay people properly. For this earning, we will leave the sequence number as is.
- W2 Box 14 Title: Some earnings have special titles in this box. The client will be the one to inform you of this title.
- Is Inactive: This allows you to make an earning inactive if it is no longer in use. You cannot delete an earning once it’s been used because it will have a historical record.
- Schedule Default: Choose when the earning will be added. We’ll choose 1st Pay of the Month.
- Allow Employee Override: This will allow you to change the schedule on a per-case basis. Check the box.
Time Entry Options
- Adds to Standard Amount: Typically checked by default. Whatever amount I type here will show up on the paycheck every check.
- If the box is checked and the cell phone reimbursement is $50, in the time entry grid, if I put in $25, the 2 amounts will combine to $75. If the box is unchecked and the cell phone reimbursement is $50, in the time entry grid, if I put $25, the $25 will override the $50.
- Hide in Time Entry: NOT OFTEN USED. If the client has a scheduled amount and never wants to override it, we would check this box.
- Other Options: These will be used in a per-case basis.
- Save. Upon saving, new tabs are at your disposal.
Calculation Parameters (How does this earning type function?):
- You can only enter a number for Amount.
- Checking the Allow Employee Value box allows the user to add a specific amount for each employee.
- If everybody received the same earning no matter what, the box would remain unchecked. In that scenario, you would apply a fixed value of the earning.
- For our demo, we’re going to check Allow Employee Value.
- Dollars Limit: Allows the user to put a limit on the earning. We’ll leave it as-is.
- Repeat as needed for each listed earning.
Memo Calculations Setup
A memo calculation is a code that is used to track information. It is not paid to the employee, nor does it affect the W2.
For example, Medical ER stands for an employer portion of the medical benefit. The employer would use this memo calculation to track how much money is spent on the medical benefit.
- Navigate to Client ManagementàPayrollàMemo Calculations
- Follow the instructions for an earning to setup the memo calculation.